Sunday, July 5, 2009

Response to my post "Husbands and wives"

Just wanted to add a quick note about my "Husbands and Wives" blog. So I got a couple e-mails in response to this post from some people worried that maybe my marriage is having some difficulties. Some even worry that if my marriage is in trouble I am taking too much responsibility on myself... I just want to clear a few things up.

First off as the first rule in A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; "Don't Panic!" :) With all honesty, Rusty and I are doing great! We are happy, we love each other and our little family and we are coming up on our four year anniversary, excited to know that it's already been 4 years toward our eternity that we've been able to spend with each other. We do, however, like many couples have little moments/problems that need adjusting.

My Aunt Cathy said it just right, that after 33 years of marriage that even they can use improvement and tend to take their relationship for granted. And that's what my blog was about. We need to constantly improve ourselves and our marriage. My husband always says "That which is not growing is decaying" and that's all that I am trying to prevent; decay.

Secondly, I promise that I am not trying to take on all of our little problems and thinking that I alone am the one to fix them. It wouldn't be a healthy relationship if I was. I am lucky to have the handsome husband that I have who is not only understanding, and willing to see his own faults, he is also a great communicator. When there is a problem, we talk about it and discuss where we both need improvement and where we are excelling. Rusty has helped me a lot in the marriage department. I come from a home where my folks divorced when I was 8, then my mother was in a very dysfunctional and abusive marriage to my ex-step dad for 6 years which was then followed by 6 years with my mom being the head of the home. I had not had a chance to witness a healthy marriage up close and personal but I know that despite all of that, with Rusty I can and will have a great marriage.

So I hope that this post puts some worried minds to ease. We are happy but we also recognize that there is always room for improvement. I am lucky to have my amazing husband and he is lucky to have me (because I'm awesome!).

No comments: