Monday, June 29, 2009

A Mommies bragging rights!

Brayden Riley 6.22.2009

This last month Brayden has really been showing us how much he REALLY knows. Now I know most parents brag about how smart their children are and how they have helped that progress along. I take no responsibility in his abilities. He has always just been a head of the curve ever since he was little baby but it doesn't cease to amaze me when he does some things.

A couple a weeks ago Brayden surprised my by walking down the stairs (which he can do all on his own) and started counting. He and I sometimes walk down the stairs and count all of the steps together (there are 16). As he was coming down, all on his own, he started counting and I was just listening to see how far he would count and to my amazement he went all the way to ten with no mess ups! I just never thought a 22 month old could count to 10 with out any help from Mom. Since then he has done it several more times but when I try to get him to do it (for the camera or anyone else) he gets really shy and just stops counting. It's a little frustrating but he did it and he has done it for Rusty too.

His language skills have also picked up A LOT. He is constantly saying what things are, repeating us and asking questions. He's favorite question, "What was that?". He will hear a sound and ask "What was that?" and we will tell him and he'll go "Oh...(and repeat what we said it was)" It's really cute! He is really working on his alphabet, he doesn't really have this one down yet but he does try. He recognizes letters and when he sees them he tries to sing the alphabet song and tries doing the letter signs which leads to the fact that his signing has also improved. He just loves to learn new signs and is perfecting the older ones.

Another great thing that he has been doing is singing! This by far is one of my favorites! He started singing "Popcorn Popping" all by himself and he knew a good amount of the words. Along with "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes" and all the fun songs they sing in Nursery. At night we have a routine where we brush our teeth, say prayers (another thing he doesn almost all on his own now. He leads the prayer and I am just there to help him out), read scriptures (He can say 'Nephi' really well, so darn cute) and then I usually rock him a little and sing whatever song he requests. Well a couple of weeks I ago I asked if I should sing "Child of God" He repeats it, which is his 'yes', and as I started to sing he knew almost all of the words to it. It was so sweet, I just couldn't believe it! He is growing up so fast and it just amazes me! He also loves to make up songs, I guess I am rubbing off on him.

Last thing I want to talk about is how sweet and kind he is. He is still a rough and rowdy little boy but he can be so sweet. When ever he accidentally hurts someone he goes up, stokes their cheek and says "sorry" in the cutest way. Not only does he do this when he hurts someone but when he sees another little kid crying he will go up and ask "You okay?" and then tries to give them a hug and says "sorry". It just amazes me that he is already showing empathy. The sad thing is if it's a smaller kid they kind of just push Brayden away thinking "what is this kid doing?". But he still sticks around to make sure they are okay and then will try to help distract them by giving them a to play with. He also loves hugs and kisses. He will come up to me or Rusty and just ask "Hug?" and we will drop what we are doing and give him one. It's usually followed by a "kiss? mmmm (that's him prepping for the kiss)" and gives us a nice big kiss on the lips or the cheek. He also loves to give his toys that have "faces" kisses. He is just a really sweet kid and I couldn't ask for a better little boy (well, most of the time).

I am a little upset at myself for not documenting all of Brayden's achievements and when they happened. I did a little bit but not nearly enough. As I am really on the process of catching up on the blog, I am realizing that I should have done more. I think it is my one regret as a mother so far. I am really trying to be better. It's a good thing I have a pretty good long term memory or I would be in trouble.

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

At least you've got a long term memory going for you. I can't say the same for me.