Saturday, March 7, 2009

A true apostle of the Lord.

We just had an awesome experience tonight that I wanted to write about it while it's fresh in my mind. My parents stake conference was this weekend and and Elder Russell M. Nelson from the quorum of twelve apostles was presiding. My parents had saved us seats to sit in the front row (next to an exit since Brayden was with us). I was nervous about having Brayden there since he is at an age that does not sit still for very long and although he had some rough patches I am so glad he came. We were right in the eye line of Elder Nelson and he smiled over at Brayden and I and waved to Brayden, who I tried get to wave in return. You could feel the love that Elder Nelson had for Christ and for the children of our Heavenly Father. It was very cool.

All of the speakers spoke truths that really touched my heart. Missionary work, the temple and the blessings of having one being built closer to us, and the one that touched me the most; strengthening family relations. So by the time it was Elder Nelson's turn my heart was so filled by the spirit that as he spoke I just began to cry. Rusty and I had a very dear moment with us and the Lord today and the on pouring of Christs love for me and my family was just too much. As Elder Nelson spoke of love and relations, of callings and that this church is the Lords church, my heart swelled with the truthfulness and a clearer understanding of his words. I am so grateful for the prophets of the Lord and their sweet sincerity and love for us. I am grateful to have the Lords guidance through them! And I know without a doubt that this is the true Church of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I am so blessed to be a part of this church, to be sealed to my family in the holy temple and to be able to teach my children the gospel of the Lord.

As the meeting closed, some children came in through the side door and went immediately to Elder Nelson. He came down those stairs and he shook their hands and hugged the little ones. Brayden and I came up and he automatically reached forward to take Brayden and hold him. Our children are such special spirits and it was really a great experience to see the love that was there. He proceeded to note that "kids sure do love grandpas" (Since Brayden kept saying Papa through out the meeting and wanting to be held by my Dad). And he turned to me and said, "You're doing a great job." Those words meant a lot as I sometimes feel inadequate as a mother. And although I know he doesn't really know me, I know he knows my heart and it was great to hear. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to be at that conference tonight and I pray I will never forget the feelings and love I felt there!

{added- There were also some really funny things that Elder Nelson said. I forgot to write them down and I think I only really remember 3 of them:
1. When talking about working and knowing 6 prophets of the Lord he mentioned that he also was the surgeon (he's a heart surgeon) for a few of them. He said, "I guess you could say I knew them inside and out."
2. While talking about the economy he spoke about how there are many examples of this in the scriptures. He proceeded to read from Helaman about how do to unrighteousness riches began to be slippery and that no one could hold onto them. He then said, " That was about 6 BC. So you see, these economic crisis will come and go." (Me writing it out just doesn't do it justice.)
3. He announced that they were going to release the stake presidency(that had been serving for 9 years) that Sunday, then he turns around and says "Do I have the authority to announce that?" Turns back around and says, "I guess I am the authority here today. So, yes. I do."
-There was some other funny things he said that I have just plain forgotten. oh well.}

3 comments:

Amy said...

It is just AWESOME to be able to learn from General Authorities. I have had the opportunity to listen to Richard G. Scott speak to the young single adults in Mesa and Cottonwood. It is amazing to hear words from Apostles. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Robert and Becky said...

Yea! I have finally added your blog to my links! Don't ask me why I didn't do it sooner because "I'm a loser" will probably be the best answer you will get.

Katy B. said...

That is amazing! I am so glad you and your family were able to have that spiritual moment together with an apostle of the Lord.:):):)